As part of its commitment to benefitting local communities, Community Energy Warwickshire has set aside £5,000 in 2014-15 to grant-fund energy projects by local communities and organisations.
The fund, which is administered by Coventry-based Heart of England Community Foundation, has so far given grants to five local organisations.
- Coleshill Community Partnership – to fund a monthly drop-in advice session on energy efficiency and reducing energy use in the home
- Coventry & Warwickshire Media Community Ltd – to fund an energy assessment of the premises they use to provide training and work experience for unemployed young people
- Old Saltleians RFC – to fund the cost of materials to insulate the clubroom roof (the club carrying out the installation itself)
- Salford Priors Memorial Hall – to fund the roof insulation of an extension of the Hall
- Stretton-on-Fosse Village Hall – to contribute to the costs of replacing its 20-year-old windows with modern energy efficient units.
The fund, which is unusual in its focus on improving energy efficiency and relieving fuel poverty, has proved immediately popular, and Community Energy Warwickshire will be contributing a third of its operating profit to the fund for grants in 2015-16.